With the new year comes a great opportunity to kick old habits and make new improvements. We have created a few suggestions on what you may want to work on this year in terms of the environment. It doesn’t need to be extravagant but small steps add up so let’s start collecting now! It takes 20-30 days to make something a habit see how many you can make stick!
- Drive Less. Maybe you take the train to work once a week. You’ll find it makes for a speedy commute when traveling in rush hour. Get to know your neighbors and carpool! Or in the warmer months ride your bike! Think of all the people sitting in traffic on the way to the gym only to ride a stationary bike…
- Shop Less. Think of what you really need. Consumerism has a huge impact on our plant so why not make this the year you try out a thrift shop, or host a clothing exchange with all your stylish friends?
- Eat Less Meat. Producing meat that’s fit for consumption is hard on the earth, a good way to reduce this is to eat less of it, maybe you become a weekend vegetarian or entertain guests with vegetarian meals to show them how delicious it really is! The market posts seasonal recipes and this is a great place to start!
- Use Less Paper. Use email whenever possible, school, work, invitations – think of whether paper is necessary. Take the single sheet challenge when drying your hands in public washrooms; here’s how.
- Stop Wasting Energy. If your phone is charged… unplug the charger! Look around and see what is patiently waiting in standby and wasting energy in the process. Just unplug whatever is not in use and that’s it! Take it a step further and air dry your clothing!
- USE your reusable bag. Keep one in your car, attach one to your water bottle, put one by your wallet so you don’t leave the house without it. When used these bags are great! If you commit to bringing it with you to the store we will reduce a lot of waste.
- Get more involved with Sierra Club. Join us for a hike or outing, volunteer with us, come to our Sierra Speak Out Sessions, we have things to do every month and we would love some more faces on our outing check out what we’re doing this month!
- Commit to our ‘Green Challenge’ We will be hosting a green challenge on our website this year; so check back often to see what you can do to make little improvements for a sustainable future!
- Start a Compost, or vermicompost for apartment dwellers, this is a great way to reduce landfill waste, if you’re not sure what to do with all the soil? Many places will pick it up and put it to good use if you can’t!
- Conserve Water. Stale water in your bottle? Give it to the plants! You like long showers? Turn the water off when you lather up and take a staggered shower!