We’re hiring a Summer Student!
We are happy that we received a grant from Alberta’s Summer Temporary Employment Program (STEP). Now we are looking for a summer student to join us for 11 weeks.
Start date: immediately, latest in June 2012
Duration: 11 weeks à 30h/week
Payment: $12.00 per hour
About Sierra Club
Sierra Club Canada empowers people to protect, restore and enjoy a healthy and safe planet. Major national campaigns fall under the program areas of Health and Environment, Protecting Biodiversity, Atmosphere and Energy, and Transition to a Sustainable Economy.
The Sierra Club Chinook Group’s mandate is to educate, lobby, and work together for change. We educate and engage citizens to protect and improve the environment and ecosystems of Calgary and Southern Alberta.
We want to revive our monthly speaker series, maybe in a different format. The speaker series educates Calgarians about current environmental topics. The meetings are a vibrant, fun and educational evening out. Calgarians can learn more about environmental issues in Calgary and Southern Alberta and become part of the solution.
- Evaluate former speaker series program
- Research best-practice formats for the speaker program
- Create concept for the new speaker program
- Book speakers and coordinate speaker program
- Establish partnerships with other organizations that could enrich the program
- Promote speaker series
- Excellent communication and listening skills; an outgoing, friendly personality might be helpful to contact our members and other organizations
- Standard computer skills; i.e. MS Office
- Environmental education an asset; e.g. Environmental Science, Environmental Management, Conservation
In general, we recommend this position for a student who is passionate about the environment and sustainability. Prior experience in an environmental non-profit or grassroots organization is not required. Most of the time the student will work on his/her own; self-motivation is an asset.
What You Will Learn
Our summer student will develop research and planning skills by defining the speaker series format, identifying speaker topics and possible partners. Further, s/he will improve her/his written and oral communication skills through building relationships with partner organizations, promoting the speaker series and contacting members. And as a bonus you will get a bunch of new friends who volunteer with the Sierra Club Chinook Group
For questions and to submit your application please contact us at email@example.com.
Application Deadline: Monday, May 21, 2012